Thursday, May 31, 2012

Confessions of a recent graduate: JOB HUNTING

Looking for a job??? Did not know where to start??? While I was still struggling to find my first job, I can say that I have felt all sorts of emotions that my mind can conceive --- from the nerve-wracking exams to heart-racing interviews. 

At the middle of the journey, here are my three important realizations about job hunting for recent grads:

1. LANDING A JOB IS A TEDIOUS AND FRUSTRATING PROCESS. Weeks before my graduation, I was in full swing sending out my resumes in different media and print companies online with high hopes of immediately getting a job. Even though I earned my bachelor’s degree in journalism from a reputable University in the Philippines with a Latin honour inscribed in my diploma, and with all the other recognitions, experiences, and leadership roles indicated in my resume, it does not guarantee me an instant employment. There are instant job offers of course. In fact, while I was waiting for my turn in the processional march during my graduation, I received a call from a media giant company for an interview request. But then again, it was NOT A GUARANTEE.

Before I started receiving calls from different companies, I spent days and nights browsing the internet to apply for jobs. I got even more frustrated with my friends’ posts in Facebook about their first job, contract signing schedule, first salary – anything related to their first employment. To be honest, I can’t help but feel a tinge of jealousy when I read their status updates. It even came to a point that I doubted my chances of getting a job.

But just recently, the HR of the media company I’m referring to called me up again for the qualifying exam (note: I had the exam one month and three weeks after my initial interview!) and now I have to wait for another week to get the results.

A week before, an international company in Ortigas also called me up for an interview. Two days later, I received an email saying that I passed and I am scheduled for the final interview with the Senior Manager. So I had this final interview with the Japanese Senior manager, and now, I am also waiting for their response whether or not I will undergo their training. To be honest, I’m keeping my faith in both companies. Whichever comes first, if it’s God’s Will, I know that is the job meant for me.

2. Job hunting takes SELF-CONFIDENCE. As a fresh graduate, job hunting is a big challenge given the thousands of students who graduated with the same degree as mine who are also currently looking for a job. One of the most important things that I learned in my recent job interviews is: IF YOU WILL NOT KEEP PACE WITH THE COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT OF JOB HUNTING, YOU WILL GO NOWHERE. It takes confidence to market yourself in an interview. Because no matter how impressive your credentials are, if you cannot express yourself properly to the employer, your chances are slim. Arriving 30 minutes before the interview works well for me because I have time to relax, observe the place and the people around. When the heart-thumping moment comes, I am more focused and confident to answer all the questions. In fact, I now enjoy being called for job interviews! It feels like I’m doing it for quite a long time already.

3. KEEP THE FAITH. The popular adage “Patience is a virtue” applies to job hunting. Do not expect too much. Companies would rarely hire “INSTANTLY”. No matter how qualified you are for the position, you need to undergo the process. I always keep in mind that I am not the only candidate for the position I’m applying for. We may be hundreds in the line waiting to get the spot. But it takes prayer, patience, and trust in Him. My mom will always tell me to pray and trust myself. She said, “If you know you are capable for it, and God wants you to have it, you will have it.”

If you get rejected, will you stop in pursuing the job you really want? Rejection is part of every job application. Remember, opportunities will not knock on your door. You have to look for it and work hard for it. BECAUSE THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

Just keep moving forward and explore all the endless possibilities out there! Have a good job hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment