Sunday, June 10, 2012

A visit to my alma mater

Scenic view of the UST Main Building (c) M.Pagulayan
Since my graduation, I rarely visit my alma mater. And I have to admit that I really miss college. I can still remember how my friends and I wish to graduate in just a snap. But while I'm currently busy with my professional career, the nostalgia of being a college student still creeps over me.

Just recently, I had a visit in my alma mater, the University of Santo Tomas. As I walked past through its buildings, nothing much has changed in terms of its physical structure (except for the on-going constructions that started even before my graduation) but the administration did change. During the opening of classes last June 4, UST installed its 96th Rector, Rev. Fr. Herminio V. Dagohoy, O.P. and its new Vice Chancellor, Rev. Fr. Gerard Francisco P. Timoner III, O.P. This is one of the many things that I miss about college – to witness a milestone that will be forever etched in history.

I went straight to Tan Yan Kee Building, my second home in UST next to the Faculty of Arts and Letters. I can still see familiar faces like our friendly “Kuya” guards and janitors, colleagues from other student organizations and of course, my beloved org mates.

I stride past to room 3K, where TomasinoWeb, the University's official online based student organization, currently resides (by the way, I served as its president and VP Internal). It was nice seeing some of the new officers busy doing org matters as I came in. As I look at them, I can’t help but tell myself, “Grabe, parang kailan lang ginagawa ko rin yan kasama sila.” After a natter, I went upstairs to visit another dear organization of mine, the Becarios de Santo Tomas, scholars organization of UST.

They’re having the freshmen orientation for newly accepted scholars as I entered the Audio Visual Room. I gaily observed my then mentees (now officers of the org) as they interact with the new scholars and promote the organization.

In my five-hour visit, I feel like a student again – right in this building where I spent four wonderful years of my college life. And now as a full-fledged Thomasian alumna, I am proud to see how my colleagues have become leaders of their own. I am even prouder that I became part of their journey as their “ate” and mentor.

Looking forward to my next visit in UST with my co-officers and classmates as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment